Hawking Up Hairballs

Monday, July 23, 2007

Call Me A Cynic

John Burdett has written three detective novels set in Bangkok, Thailand. All three feature police detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep as the protagonist. I'm now reading the third of those novels, Bangkok Haunts. I had to chuckle when I came to this passage. It's a musing on the part of Jitpleecheep.

"...prostitutes were the world's first capitalists. The ancients understood very well that men need sex more urgently than women. It was natural, therefore, that this imbalance should be redressed by means of cash, which hitherto nobody had had any use for. Later, of course, whores found other things to sell, and many were reincarnated as lawyers, doctors, dentists, merchant bankers, presidents, sweetshop owners, mayors, et cetera. Commerce was born, and war became just a tad less fashionable."

I know what you're thinking. That Chuck, what a cynic. Yeah, well, so what? Crucify me if you don't like it. I promise I won't rise from the dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home