Hawking Up Hairballs

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Writing Update

Well, it's been awhile, dear readers. If there are anymore readers of this blog. I have no excuses. I just plain haven't been keeping up with it. However, I'm back. For how long, who knows? Since I've been away for a while, I thought I might start with the begin important thing, my writing.

I've finally started trying to place my novel "Buster Bungle's Big Top". I sent queries to four agents. That's not many, but I'm mostly testing the waters right now and, given that it's the holiday season, I didn't think that it would be best to send out a lot of queries at this time. I'll shoot out a lot more after the first of the year. Got to get the book published before 2012, you know!

Anyway, two of the agents sent back quick rejections. The other two have yet to reply. One nice thing about a lot agencies of these days is that they take queries and manuscript submissions by email. Some of them only accept them by email. I love it. Snail mail queries and submissions are not only a pain in the ass to put together, but they're expensive as well, what with postage, paper supplies, etc.

I didn't grow up in the South. My father was a career Air Force officer, so we moved around some, though not as much as a lot of military families. From the fourth grade through high school, I lived near Dayton, Ohio on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. So, during my formative years I grew up in the Midwest. However, I've lived in Atlanta for over thirty years, and it appears that I have actually become a Southerner. Okay, you might be asking yourself, what's he getting up to here. Well, these agents all want you to tell them what the genre of your novel is. After thinking about it for a while, the only one that fit was Southern Gothic. It's not one of the genres on most of their lists, but it's the one that I'm using because it's the most descriptive. It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that I'd written a Southern Gothic novel. The next thing you know, I'll be looking into the Sons of the Confederacy.

I'm not just sitting around waiting for responses to my queries. I'm well into another novel. The working title is "Riley and Perfect Peaches." Anything more than that I'm not going to say. This one is more of a comic novel than "Buster Bungle's Big Top", but it too would best be described as Southern Gothic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home